John Coley grew up on Lake Martin and is a 1991 graduate of Benjamin Russell High School in Alex City. He graduated with a degree in Accounting from Birmingham - Southern College in 1995.
He achieved his certification as a Certified Management Accountant, and worked in the accounting department at Russell Corporation in Alex City . He then served as Controller at Jerry Kyser Builder, Inc., a commercial contractor and real estate developer in Montgomery, Alabama.
From 2005 to January of 2010 John Coley sold Lake Martin real estate under his family brokerage name - Coley Real Estate. On January 15, 2010, he switched his company name to Lake Martin Voice Realty for two reasons: 1.) to better pair his company brand with his best marketing engine (the blog Lake Martin Voice) and 2.) to be able to team up with fellow Lake Martin Realtor John Christenberry.
John combines his financial experience, real estate knowledge, and love for the lake as a full time Realtor in the Lake Martin area. He enjoys spending time with his wife Palmer, and their two sons. John also enjoys water sports, fly fishing, hunting, playing tennis, and just generally being outside. He is a member of Young Meadows Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, Alabama.
Memberships and Professional Honors
- John is a member of the ACRE Leadership Council, a effort of the Alabama Center of Real Estate. ACRE, housed within the UA's Culverhouse College of Commerce, collects, maintains and analyzes the state’s real estate statistics. As part of the Council, he writes a column published on al.com - Alabama's largest news media website.
- John has had his blog articles linked by the Wall Street Journal and has been interviewed and quoted on second home sales by the Birmingham News, Alexander City Outlook, and other local newspapers.
- John taught this class at ReTechSouth on using video to market real estate in 2011. About 100 realtors from around the nation were in attendance in his class and about 750 were at the conference in total.
- John has been interviewed by various national real estate industry heavies about his online video marketing, such as Dean Ouellette of RETech Radio.
- John was honored by this interview by Rudy Bachraty of WellcomeMat entitled "Real Estate Video Trends: Geo-Targeted Waterfront Community Videos." This was a huge deal to John because WellcomeMat truly is, as they state on their website: "the leading real estate video platform and is heavily relied upon for the branding, publishing, distribution and measurement of locally focused video content. With over 17,000 real estate professionals, 8,000 real estate video production companies and many A-list real estate firms using our platform, WellcomeMat represents the most penetrated online and mobile video system in real estate." John said, "It was very nice of them to pick me out of so many real estate pros to interview. Their site hosts real estate video not for all agents, but for the best of the best in real estate agents in the nation, so to be singled out by Rudy and the team at WellcomeMat was very humbling."
- John was honored by RISMedia’s Real Estate magazine as one of twelve trend setting brokers from around the nation who use video in a unique way to help people with real estate. The magazine described the process, saying, “we interviewed leading real estate brokers and brands and identified a number of unique real estate video trends occurring in our industry. Here are the key takeaways." John was super flattered to be included in this group of nationally recognized brokerages, some of whom have their own shows on HGTV. "It's truly inspiring to see the great video work that the real estate industry is cranking out, and I would like to thank RISMedia for the mention and the honor," John said.
- John has a passion for small business marketing, and has taught classes sponsored by MainStreet Alexander City focusing on online marketing for small businesses.
- John was selected to be a speaker at the 7th Tallapoosa River Basin "State of Our Watershed Conference" sponsored by Auburn University. The overall focus of the conference was water quality and issues in the Tallapoosa River Basin. The Tallapoosa River feeds Lake Martin. John spoke on the current state or the real estate market on Lake Martin, and gave some opinions on the possible effects of the Martin Dam Rule Curve.
- He has been quoted various times about the lake real estate market by the Lake Magazine, Lake Martin Edition. John also somehow managed to slip by their editors and get an Ode and several Lake Martin scenery photos published. Recently, John has been the author of a monthly column on Lake Martin real estate for Lake Magazine.
- John has been interviewed by TV stations such as WBRC Fox News 6 On Your Side Investigation about Lot Leases at the lake.
- John has been quoted by the Alabama Center for Real Estate - ACRE in articles like this one "Expect Alabama's lake home market to heat up, as inventory declines in some areas."
Find John elsewhere on the web:
Would you like to view some video testimonials for John Coley?
Teri & Wade Madison, AL
Thanks John! We love it here more every day!
Michelle & Mike Montgomery, AL
We are thoroughly enjoying our lake house! We hosted our school’s track team this past Saturday for their end of the year party. We had about 50 people there for the afternoon, and it was a blast! This holiday weekend we will have some close friends staying with us. We are having fun making it our own, and creating special memories! Thanks for checking on us
Mike & Tina Troy, AL
We have been spending almost every weekend at the condo and couldn’t be happier with our purchase. If you are down our way be sure and stop in and see us. You are always welcome any time!
Margaret & Tim Auburn, AL
“You sold my husband and I a place on Lake Martin in Stillwaters two years ago – 44 Poplar Point. We still love it. Yes! That baby is almost 2 and he loves the lake as much as the rest of us do! Thanks for helping us get the perfect place for us!” :-)
John & Melanie Auburn, AL
Thank you,John; having worked with MANY realtors, you’re the best!
Allen & Ann W., Eufaula, AL Lamar & Carol W., Montgomery, AL
We loved your presentation of our lake home. The pictures, videos and 3D tour were outstanding. You made it so easy for us.
V&D Birmingham, AL
Thanks for everything John! We couldn’t have sold it without YOU!!! …. We will definitely stay in touch!!! And we will recommend you to our friends and neighbors any time!!
John & Cam Mountain Brook, AL
Thanks again for helping us get a great understanding of the Lake Martin real estate market …… we value your friendship.
Craig & Tammy Union Springs, AL
Thanks so much for all of your help in finding and purchasing our home on Lake Martin. You were a great source of information and always answered our questions. (Sometimes later at night than you probably would have liked!! ):) ……. I still can’t believe we found such a great place ….. Thanks also for your help during the mortgage and closing process, you really kept us on track …… Please keep in touch and please come by any time we are here!
Bobby R. Hoover, AL
Harvest Moon on Lake Martin! I love the lake!
Merrill D. Mobile, AL
We are coming up on the 1st anniversary at the Lake. It has been a great year and we still appreciate you for your good work on our behalf. Best wishes to you and family.
Vance W. Birmingham, Alabama
My wife and I had been searching the Lake Martin area for over two years for the “right place”. During that time, we had the opportunity to work with several realtors, some were very good and some not so good. We contacted John about a listing late Saturday afternoon and had an agreement the NEXT DAY and closed in less than 10 days. In this particular situation, that time frame would have been impossible if it were any other realtor but John Coley. Here’s the deal, John has the gift of understanding what it takes to bring buyers and sellers to an agreement. His knowledge of the area is fantastic which when combined with the relationships he has with the local banks, makes a complete package. It was refreshing to see the honesty he displayed when he did not know the answer to one of the many questions. He would simply tell me that he did not know the answer to that question, but he would find out, which he did in a prompt fashion. After the sale, I have found that I can count on his knowledge of the area, the businesses and the local folks to give me recommendations on things ranging from Alabama Power Regulations to Bar-B-Q. It’s hard to go wrong with John Coley.
Tom and Melissa D. Auburn, Alabama
From a buyer's blog post titled "Lake Cabin Post" : "Very first, I HAVE to give a great big SHOUT OUT to John Coley @ Coley Real Estate John hung in there with us all summer. . .even gave us advice on FSBO's that we found. He is such a laid back, fun kind of guy who knows Lake Martin like the back of his hand because he grew up there. He is only satisfied when everyone involved in the transaction is satisfied. Y'all know me well enough to know. . .I don't endorse folks unless I mean it. . .an I MEAN IT. Speaking of "For Sale By Owner" (FSBO) property on Lake Martin. . . Our Three Friends - AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! who said to us this week. "You should have told us!! We are trying to sell our place!!!" . .. . I have two words for you!: JOHN COLEY! HELLO!!. . . who, please tell me, who! has the time to ride around all the miles of Lake Martin to find FSBO property. . . NOT US. . . .and I'll not even mention that we know you pretty well. . have seen you several times this summer. . . ..AND didn't KNOW about your property. . . .well, DUH!!..." Read the entire post here
Tim and Mary M. Lacombe, Louisiana
We were shopping for a condo on Lake Martin and decided we should look at a couple of houses to compare before making the decision. John was the listing agent on a few of the houses so we gave him a call. In only a couple of days we found exactly what we were hoping to find at a price that was in our range. I have worked in the Oil Patch and moved quite a bit. John is among the few real estate agents that know their market, work hard to help finalize the sale and went out of his way to make the experience enjoyable and easy. He even pointed us to a knowledgeable lending agency familiar with lease lots. John is not just our agent, he is also a friend.
Karen B. Atlanta, Georgia
John Coley helped me purchase a house with an Alabama Power land lease on Lake Martin. I was totally unfamiliar with these and he helped make the process very understandable and straightforward. We live in Atlanta and work full time. John made several very helpful referrals regarding vendors to help with various items for closing, which we really appreciated. He was very responsive and made the entire process painless. I would definitely use his services again.
Charles and Holly G. Peachtree City, Georgia
"My husband made contact with John Coley after a friend, who owns property at Lake Martin, suggested we give him a call. Our friend told us that John knew and understood Lake Martin because he grew up there. Our first impression of John was that he wasn't pushy and didn't make us feel that we had to buy some property and it had to be done now. He kept us informed and up-to-date with everything that was available for sale. After we negotiated a contract on the house that we wanted, John was still very helpful during the process and didn't abandon us for another sale. There were some title issues during the purchasing of our house and John went the extra mile to help get it solved. We have owned many homes and our past experiences with real estate agents have left us with a lack of desire to use their services. As my husband said to some friends, who are also interested in Lake Martin, 'John has restored our faith in Realtors.' John was a pleasure to talk with and be around. We highly recommend him."
Lt. Col. Joe L. Izmir, Turkey
I sold a lake home while deployed in Turkey because John cares. He was patient and always listened to my wishes. Bottom line, we sold our cabin with the lake down 9-feet because he is personable, smart, markets like no one I've ever seen, and most importantly...knows Lake Martin like he flooded the valley himself."
Chetan and Lakshmi S. Salem, AL
John Coley blended effective people skills and high-tech information technology skills in marketing and selling our home.
S.D. Birmingham, Alabama
John was incredibly helpful in the search for our lake house. Having been away from Alabama for several years, we were a bit uninformed about recent activity in the Lake Martin real estate market. John helped guide us through and educate us. He made sure we saw properties at different price points and in different areas so that we could make the decision that was right for our family. As we wind down our first summer, I can say we are thrilled and are looking forward to many more in the house John helped us find. Thank you, John!
Emily and Brad P. Sorrento, Florida
We live in Florida and had very little time to research the Lake for the property that would fit our family. John did just that for us... We are so excited about our cabin and looking forward to our first summer on the Lake, all because of John!
Charles M. Montgomery, Alabama
I owned some lake property, and someone called me up out of nowhere and made me an offer. I had no idea if it was a fair offer or not, so I called John. I knew he grew up on the Lake, and his family has been in the business since the fifties. He gave me a free consultation on the lake market, and I listed my property with him. I ended up selling for more than 60% over the original offer, without the hassle of selling it myself.
James S. Eclectic, Alabama
If you've wished for a hardworking, fair, competent Realtor, look no further. John Coley's go-get-it attitude is refreshing. I recommend him to buyers and sellers alike. He's in the business to help people succeed.